Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Retouching Feedback

As an artist it's important to get feedback from your work before it's shared to the public. As a photographer this means getting feedback on your retouched images.

I don't mean the usual CC (constructive criticism) requests you see in photography forums. The problem with this request is the image is already complete. It is open for public viewing. On one hand the CCs tend to become just random out of context suggestions or stylistic criticisms. On the other hand the photographer maybe really just looking for a pat in the back.


(c) Mark Serrano
Image preview on Google Nexus, Macbook 2013, and iPhone 6 Plus

If you want to make an actionable improvement, request the feedback while you're on your post-processing stages. The simple reason is you still have control to change the final look of the image without ruining the surprise to your audience. 

This feedback process is no different when writing a thesis or a book. It undergoes numerous proofreading and revisions from editors and reviewers before it's shared to the public. So why should our photos be excluded in this process? They should not.

Here's a quote worth remembering:
"It takes two artists to paint something, one to paint and the other to hit the first artist" - Sue Bryce

Here's what you can do:


1. Ask a friend. 
  • In most cases I ask my wife for feedback because she's a makeup artist, and I trust her critical eye
  • Lately I'd been asking my makeup artists to tell me what part of the makeup needs to be fixed, so I can address them in the retouching process

(c) Mark Serrano
Google Nexus

2. Preview your images on multiple devices. 
  • Uncalibrated devices render the colors on your photos differently. It helps to see what you're sharing to the world
  • It helps you catch details you've might missed on your computer. Different screen sizes tend to show varying level of details that might not be apparent on some devices. 
  • The smaller screens let me see better what I've missed in my dodge and burn process.
  • The brighter screens help me see quickly how my photos look if blowned out.
  • The uncalibrated screens help me see color variance that I missed on my calibrated screen. This is probably because my eyes have become accustomed to my calibrated screen.
  • Juxtaposed screens help you see the big picture

(c) Mark Serrano
iPhone 6 Plus

3. Sleep on it. Take a break.
  • The more time we spend our eyes on the screen, the more our eyes become accustom to the screen. This has a negative side effect of making you miss important details on your photos.
  • Taking a break helps you combat this acclimatization
  • Previewing your images on different screens also helps you fight this acclimatization

Here's the final image by the way:

(c) Mark Serrano
This is lit with a single beauty dish

Credits

Photography by Mark Serrano
Model: Octavia Chan | Factor Chosen Model Management Chicago
Makeup and hair by Ula Sz (Shades of Makeup by Ula)

No comments:

Post a Comment